News - WP2 workshop on Monitoring strategies
A Work Package 2 (WP2) workshop was held on 1-2 December 2015 in Stockholm, Sweden.
Modern2020 Work Package 2 (WP2) focuses on decision-making requirements, monitoring strategies and approaches to screening the preliminary parameter list. Within this Work Package, a workshop was held on 1-2 December 2015 in Stockholm, Sweden. The over-arching goal of this internal workshop was to i) collate initial information on specific approaches being adopted by Waste Management Organisations (WMOs) to establish their monitoring programme and plan the work to be done in the framework of the project.
Specific objectives were to:
- Discuss how the safety case context and approach could influence the design of the repository monitoring system, including drawing lessons from real-world case studies.
- Understand and capture how local public stakeholder views influence the strategy adopted for the repository monitoring programme.
- Identify the different monitoring strategies and discussion of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Describe the decisions that will be made during stepwise implementation of geological disposal, and consideration of the extent to which these decisions could be supported by repository monitoring, including what data/information would be required to provide any support identified.
- Describe the methods used to screen preliminary lists of relevant and measurable monitoring parameters to identify if they are to be included in a repository monitoring programme, and discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of different methods.
- Identify the monitoring technologies that are expected to be applied during monitoring prior to completion of Modern2020 strategy work, as an input to WP3.
All documentation (agenda, materials, etc.) is available on the Modern2020 restricted area (projectplace).