The Modern2020 consortium brings together 28 organisations from Europe Union and Japan that are committed to the common goal of promoting a targeted and innovative cooperation and synergy in the field of monitoring and to respond in an efficient way to major issues and challenges of developing and implementing a monitoring system:
- Eight radioactive waste management organisations (Andra, ENRESA, NAGRA, ONDRAF/NIRAS, Posiva, RWM, SKB, SURAO);
- Five organisations undertaking research in their respective country on radioactive waste management (DBETEC, ENEA, NRG, RWMC and VTT)
- One technical support organisation (IRSN)
- Six organisations with specialist technical monitoring expertise (AMBERG, AITEMIN, ARQUIMEA, EURIDICE, ORANO, EDF-DTG) ;
- Eight academic research units (CTU, USTRAT, XLIM, TUL, UMONS, ETH Zurich) of which two are undertaking research in social sciences (UANTWERPEN, UGOT);
- Two specialist consultants (GSL, NID).